Monday, April 30, 2007

Why no Video Blogging?

Some people have asked me why I don't do videoblogging or podcasts. After all my presentation style is intentionally optimized for podcasting and I have been using it for over a year.

There is very little video blogging I have seen to date that is as useful as print. Most is done baddly at best. If I am going to videoblog I am going to do it right. So far I have got a good video settup but the sound settup is terrible. I need to invest some time setting up a decent audio setup, a decent mixer, microphone etc.

But much of the video blogging that is out there is poor for reasons beyond technology. Videoblogging is essentially television and television is a very difficult medium to master. People spend their time looking blankly into the camera, fidgetting, umm-ing, ah-ing and generally looking nervous.

Another common mistake is to sit down. It is much harder to speak sitting down, your diaphram gets all compressed and you can't take proper breaths. So sentences end up cut off short.

So far the books I have found on podcasting appear to be complete rubbish thrown together by someone with no idea about either the technology or the phenomenon. On the technical side I have been looking at books on how to set up a home recording studio as being likely to be a better bet.

For less than $2,000 anyone can buy a complete set of equipment that is as good or better than the 'broadcast quality' equipment of ten years ago.

No comments: